View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2020, 15:41 (Ref:4013740)   #352
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
£0. Software updates for iPhone and Android phones are free. Software functionality is added completely for free. Both Apple and Google provide GPS directions through their own mapping systems, which are updated continuously without the user doing anything (since its cloud based).

You don't need to buy a new phone for the same reason you don't need to buy a new car every year. It still works. Unlike the car though, the phone will get free updates through its life time. The car will not. And even if you do buy a new iPhone, you don't need a flagship phone. The SE is £400 without a contract. Android phones can be much cheaper. And everyone generally has a phone for other use anyway.
I appreciate we have gone way off topic here. However I think the same is true of the ICE/SatNav. If I don't pay to update, the system will still work.
Whereas a handset requires a data connection (which is paid for by someone), the car system is being done at the dealer.

Ultimately, I see the point that the majority of people carry a device capable of navigating for them so do not need to pay a car dealer for updates - but I often wonder why people want a premium brand/product without paying a premium for it?

Possibly getting (partially) back on topic. If I want a car to get from A-B, I can do it for much cheaper than buying a recent-model Mercedes or Aston Martin. No-one is forcing people to buy these marques, so I don't get why there are complaints about the charges they make at dealers.

It reminds me of a comment once from a friend who worked in a car dealer, which was along the lines of:
'Customers who come in and buy a top of the range model costing £50k+ are easy to deal with, because they accept that everything associated with running a £50k+ car can be expensive.
Customers who come in and but an entry-level model are easy to deal with, because we make everything associated with running that car as affordable as possible.
The worst customers to deal with are those who buy a car that was £50k+ when new, once the value has depreciated below £20k, but forget that it is still a £50k+ car and expect the running costs to be the same as a brand new £20k model'