View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3491831)   #185
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Many thanks both Mike and Terence. Two most erudite explanations leaving me the wiser.
Also Nick most "dog box's" have straight cut gears that are noisy as apposed to helical ones to lessen power loss, but as others have said (and I can vouch for it) not that strong if abused as I was forever welding the edges back on the dogs and reshaping with the angle grinder !!!!!
A lot of people don't understand how a "constant mesh" gearbox works that is fitted to just about every manual car, every forward gear is in mesh with the layshaft but is not actually doing anything until you engage a movable hub on the mainshaft to lock whatever gear you require that up until now revolve freely.
The same applies to dog or syncro engagement boxes.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !