View Single Post
Old 20 Dec 2007, 17:05 (Ref:2092809)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
I am not sure if you are comparing things properly. The power engines can deliver is limited by air in theory; not really true for diesel in practice because they are limited by smoke

So I think you should just compare the restrictor size of turbo charged engines:
  • LMP1
    • turbo petrol: 46 mm
    • turbo diesel: 55.9 mm
    • restrictor size for petrol has 82.3% of diesel
  • LMP2
    • turbo petrol: 42 mm
    • turbo diesel: 53 mm
    • restrictor size for petrol has 79.2% of diesel

I think the difference between LMP1 and LMP2 engine rules is rather small. Remember that you have to start from a road diesel engine, and not from scratch like Audi and Peugeot did.
Diesel power is basically unlimited wrt air restrictors, you're right - they can just dump the fuel in and so long as their particulate filters clean the exhaust up, they can easily make power. (Also saw that the P2 diesel fuel cell is unadjusted compared to the petrol one.)

Anyway, it seems to me that, were you going to go with an homologated engine, the diesel would be the way to go from a power perspective. Let's face it, there's no cost-effective way to use an homologated engine, otherwise it would have been done years ago - so all this does is provide a power rationale for going that way, which is going to drive up costs in P2.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James