View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2891234)   #108
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
At first I did wonder why they didn't use back the WSC name, to restore some continuity with the past, but thinking twice about it, I'm relieved they choose WEC instead, because a "World Endurance Championship" is explicitly commited to run long races. They're not going to make Grand Prix-like races again.

I believe every parts involved were agreeing on that point, because the ACO had to ensure the championship will stay close to the roots of Le Mans racing, and the FIA surely doesn't want prototypes to step in F1's domain too.

But now that it is officialy a World Championship, it becomes critical that it steps on each continent of the Earth. Obviously it has to keep the big ones (LM24, Sebring12, and PLM), and it would be nice to keep classics such as Spa, Monza, Nurburgring or Silverstone (maybe with a rotation system), and have at least one race in Japan (Suzuka), but then it should absolutely include one South American race (Sao Paulo), one African (Kyalami) and one Australian (Adelaide?) too.

So IMHO the calandar soon has to extend to at least 10 races a season, which will be hard cost wise, as we just stated it will all be 1000km races minimum...
I wouldn't have thought that manufactures would be too bothered by Africa, the money's not there. Realistically, somewhere like Abu Dhabi is far more likely, although I'd imagine we'd be talking about a Chinese race instead.

No matter what the calendar is, there will be circuits and countries left dissapointed by the calendar next year unless there's about a dozen races.