Thread: Category engine
View Single Post
Old 20 May 2020, 05:17 (Ref:3977252)   #20
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Keep it simple I say, let the manufacturers build it to the regulations and we’ll see a good formula come of it
The concern I have with is that 10:1 compression is too low for a racing engine, 7500rpm rev limit is too low for a racing engine [Brockie was revving the Holden 308 to 8000+ in the 80's after all], and banning variable timing and direct injection is just silly. Your approach is not completely terrible, but it was VERY unfair that Volvo were given a lot more concessions than Nissan (Volvo were allowed a much smaller bore and much longer stroke than the other engines, which was much better suited to the low 7500rpm rev limit).

More cutting-edge categories like Japanese SuperGT and Formula One are pushing ahead with turbulent jet injection (and the ultra-lean super-efficient combustion that goes with it), meanwhile Supercars is stuck on port injection and 10:1 compression and (presumably) the horribly poor thermal efficiency that goes with that!

With a "have at it" approach, BMW and Audi spent 80 million euro on just engine development alone for their 2L turbo DTM engines.

Audi 610hp DTM engine:

It's rather ugly isn't it? But it is 85 kg, which is a good ~40 kg lighter than a production-based four cylinder engine... So there's that I guess.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 20 May 2020 at 05:28.