View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1570767)   #602
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I'd be very surprised if the money's coming from Cancer Research UK- according to Crash.net, Bryan's partner in this is another UK businessman, Graham Schultz. I suspect they're the money, and are maybe using the project to publicise Cancer Research UK- from a quick google search Rik Bryan was apparently involved with a recent charity ball at the Dorchester hotel in London in aid of CRUK (at which his DBR9 was also displayed), so may be involved in fundraising for them.

I'm not sure Peter Hardman's the owner of the second chassis- he's a well-known name on the historic racing scene, where he's had a lot of success driving other peoples' cars- particularly Astons and Ferraris, I believe belonging to one individual collector. Usually fast in historic cars, but he's also got a fair amount of GT experience in things like Lotus, Lister and McLaren F1 in the 90's
Yes, I take your point on CRUK. I guess I shouldn't have said the money is coming directly from their purse, but that some associated person or body is promoting them out of pocket. Still, while I shouldn't be badmouthing any contribution to racing, one can't help but wonder whether the money shouldn't just go straight to the research, no? Sorry, I guess it's my bias as a soon-to-be-constantly-underfunded scientist showing here.

I guess I misjudged Hardman...but wow is that ever an entertaining site! I don't know, there's just something about the wording used that gets my goat. "Professional Racing Driver". Still, as long as he goes like the wind I couldn't care less.