View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2596844)   #39
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think you miss mine too, and it was the very essence (IMO) of Audi's failure at Le Mans this year. They did a fair bit of testing and very little racing. Peugeot learned from the more significant racing they did. Audi can test all day and night for weeks on end if they want to, but it won't replace racing against decent competition, overtaking loads of cars, encountering all the dumped oil and other detritus etc. etc. that simply can't be replicated in a test..... You need to test to win, of course, no doubt about that, but it'll never replace the data gained from actually taking on your competition head to head on the track....
Hmm, let me put it another way, because we miss understand each other .
Let's say Audi scraps the R15, and build a R17 (The R16 being the 2010 DTM). When the designing and and manufacturing of the first car is done, you are going to test the car on a closed track alone, to take out the worst of the "gremlins" of the car, or do you trow it out racing immediately?.

My point being that closed track testing is often done by running a few laps, pitting, where they change-, talk, modify things to improve the car, and make it race-able. When "enough" closed track testing is done, then you'll start to race test the car.
My point from the start was that Audi can't replace the Closed track testing with Race testing, with the R15+, as there probably will be too many "gremlins" in the new design for them to race it properly.

Also, Audi would never race a car they believe isn't ready. It would be too embarrassing.