Old 20 Apr 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1896624)   #15
chrisgram
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch
chrisgram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Brilliant! The question of whether any of the race cars ever became rallycars was raised early in the thread as I remember- Hopefully Ken can fill in the chassis number of whichever racer became 'FJO450Y'.

Funnily enough, this week's 'Classic Car Weekly' paper has a couple of pages on the SD1 in motorsport, including pictures of Michele Mouton on a rallysprint and 'B565AOX' on what looks like the 85 RAC with Mike Stuart I think-Pond was giving the 6R4 it's WRC debut
I have found a photo of FJO450Y on a trailer in a very sad state. The LH rear, including axle have been ripped out. The Autosport article (15/9/83) comments;
'Hours after the accident that destroyed the first and only rallying Vitesse, one could have expected..... Instead, around the dinner table that night ideas were flashing about a suggested timetable for the prep of a new car in time for the Manx. Where they could find another shell.... The real problem was finding another shell...Surely it would not take too much to convert one of the Sanyo sponsored racers?. Jeff Allam would never know how lucky he was because there was one thing certain. The TWR equipe would be in Douglas, on time....