View Single Post
Old 4 May 2022, 08:13 (Ref:4108852)   #55
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I must admit that I've been sitting on the fence about this DRS discussion, but the more of these comments I read, the more I'm thinking that it should go. I (now) totally see the point that it is discouraging natural/talented/opportunistic (and therefore exciting/unpredictable) overtakes and effectively telling drivers where they can pass the car in front. (OK, I do accept that there have been a few unexpected overtakes since the introduction of DRS, but not many).
I think that it would be an excellent plan to try at least one Sprint Race without it to see what happens, but I think it would be an even better plan to remove it from at least on of the Grand Prix too, so drivers have the opportunity to re-learn the ability to work out their own overtaking strategies.
Another note the electric power deployment strategy across the track. In a fight for position I can image it is now set up such to get the following car within the 1s at the detection line and still have deployment when trying the pass. If you have no DRS the electric deployment during the lap could change in order to maximizes changes in a different spot.

I also think it would be good to do this experiment this year already. If you wait till next year it is already very (too) tight to analyse and learn the lessons in time to set out the 2026 regulations.

COTA would perhaps also be a good track. It has swooping corners that already allows offset lines that aid following. With this years cars that could be even better. Also it has a pretty long straight.

Regarding track design. If the 2026 regulations further improve what is already achieved regarding close racing, it indeed could be a good idea to look at some tight corners on tracks with the long straight hard breaking concept. Adding more flow the track and more close fighting in corners which to me is always more interesting than the passes on the straights we see most.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.