View Single Post
Old 4 May 2022, 16:54 (Ref:4108903)   #60
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I think one thing to consider is why we actually watch Formula 1 (something I am asked fairly often and struggle to think of a good answer ). Obviously the sheer speed of the cars is quite special, particularly at the track, but that is not why we watch 20+ races every year. The strategies of the different teams and watching for which will be successful is also a big part, but I think the main thing that fans watch Formula 1 for is to see extremely skilful driving, and while at tracks like Monaco that comes just from a normal qualifying lap, most of this incredibly skilful driving comes from particularly impressive overtakes, and seeing an amazing overtake or great battle is often the highlight of any race.

The number of these is reduced when overtakes can be made easily with DRS on the straight and comes back to the point of no DRS encouraging overtakes in other, more interesting parts of the track. With Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton the only drivers to have raced in F1 before DRS, drivers could become more and more used to it over time that, as others have said, they become incapable of pulling off an amazing overtake at all. I still think it has been necessary with the old cars, but F1 should always be looking to remove it as soon as possible and although the new cars aren’t perfect, I think they are definitely good enough to run without DRS.

The best overtake of the 2021 season for me was undoubtedly when Lando Norris passed Charles Leclerc on the inside at Curva Grande with a wheel on the grass. We need more of that.