View Single Post
Old 4 May 2022, 22:44 (Ref:4108924)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Agree.... But it's not the only thing that can be weird. Other items that may seem complex to someone who is totally new to motorsports.

* The need to use different tires during the race
* Multi-phase qualifying
* Virtual vs. classic safety car
* And don't even try to explain the things we argue about on a regular basis (leaving racing room) because we are veterans and we can't even agree.

I actually think DRS is pretty easy to explain. "If you catch the driver in front of you, it helps you pass them. They can do the same to you." It's not great, but it is simple.

Richard

A few of those things are easier to explain than DRS. Although the two compound per race rule is not one of them. One or two of my friends who don’t watch F1 regularly like me, don’t understand why they need to do that.

Multi phrase qualifying is one you get used to after 2 or 3 views. Virtual and actual SC is also pretty easy to explain. And leaving racing room should be quite easy to explain, if not for the stewards being inconsistent in it’s interpretation

DRS is a lot more than “catch the guy in front” and “help you pass them”. You’ve also got to explain why you can only use it in certain places, why only the driver behind can use it, not to mention why it’s there in the first place

Add to all the other things I’ve said about it and it’s clear it’s time for it to go. The quantity of passing may have been increased by it’s presence, but not the quality