View Single Post
Old 5 May 2022, 07:03 (Ref:4108941)   #65
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
For me a Tank Slapper (for example) is where a car loses grip in one direction, the driver over-corrects and the car loses grip in the other direction and so on. (The phrase comes from the same situation happening in motorcycling where the rider applying the steering correction to his handlebars appears to be slapping the (fuel) tank with his hands.
Agreed - I understand the term to come from motorcycling initially. Probably more accurately to be described as a 'speed wobble'.

I have heard it referred to in cars quite often as a single over-correction of counter-steer though. And for someone new to F1, that is probably the most likely situation they would hear it used.

Back on topic - if it is difficult to describe or not makes no difference to me in whether it is something that should be permitted.