View Single Post
Old 12 May 2022, 09:13 (Ref:4109720)   #74
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think it is needed. Looking at the 1st 5 races cars seem to be able to follow closer than in the past but still need DRS to create that difference in order to overtake.
With current rules and budget cap and freeze on engine development, I imagine the performances will converge with a smaller spread of performance between cars meaning overtaking will be more difficult even if having a small advantage(does not help that most long straights come at the end of slow corners which do not facilitate overtaking)

Also I notice an obsession in F1 about overtaking and how it was happening more in the past, but I believe people do not tackle all the facts:
a) In the past cars were less reliable needing to be driven carefully which can create gaps in performances
b) Chassis, aero and engine development were not capped meaning teams could find big gains
c) basic aero
d) Multiple rubber manufacturers creating differences in performances based on track and temperature
e) smaller cars

We will probably never get back to those times so maybe drs is a necessary evil to make up for car and regs development