View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2022, 16:42 (Ref:4096986)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
You put it in great words, there is the key!
Thanks.

To be clear in what I wrote I am not arguing one way of the other.

But when I go through the logic of the considerations I see two similar situations. Neither ideal.

I also see, man it’s not easy or straight forward to craft these. And certainly it isn’t possible to have an ideal solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I can see the logic in your view. You are saying that the procedure should be drafted in such a way that benefits the driver(s) ahead.

I guess that could be seen as 'track position is key'.

There is another way to see that approach though. If you approach the race from a competitive angle where track position is the priority, then you are reducing the likelihood of close competition.

It would be the inverse of the first 20 hours being a waste of time. You are saying that once a car has a clear lead, then a FCY would only exaggerate that. So in consideration of the value of racing, we would end up in a situation where the last 20 hours of the race are meaningless.
Interesting.

This is where I’m coming down on it he more I think about it. Same probably, but the other way round.

I can certainly see why IMSA made the choice.

And we are only really considering the lost a lap situation here. There is more to the fairness than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The thing we're not really discussing here is the quality of the entries now days.

We had SC periods before. The difference was that cars broke a LOT more back in the day, so even SC periods made no real difference. Now, mechanical issues are actually the exception, not the norm. It's now expected that a manufacturer backed entry will NOT have mechanical issues. This alone makes things much much tighter.

If you look at 1996 (picked a random year), the gap between 2nd and 3rd was almost 50 laps. Less than half the field finished. There were 11 FCYs. So even if you gave 2 laps back per yellow (double today), then the 3rd place car was 30 laps off the lead.

A big reason it is tighter now is cars now break a LOT less than they used to.
Interesting. I’m not up enough on how the rules have changed over the years, but we would have a much different dynamic.

On the very specific of laps and wave rounds, I’m not sure it impacts us that much. I might be wrong if we look at previous years and other races.