View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4148911)   #116
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I agree ideally penalties should be consistent but applying them during the race can make them inconsistent, be it the non-penalty I referred to or other cases where the penalty ended up more draconian than it should be.

There’s no perfect version though. One of the F2 drivers I work with recently had a five second penalty - all was good until a late race SC that the race finished under that and a one-place penalty turned into a non-points finish. That’s hardly consistent either, as the sane offence before a pit stop would have been almost totally negated.
That is unfortunate, but there is one way to make sure it doesn’t happen again and it is in the hands of the competitors. Don’t commit the offense and you won’t get a penalty.

If you get a penalty then you’ve opened yourself up to suffering a consequence. That this consequence can vary is just part of the race. Like everything else in the race.

You could qualify 4th and that means you get caught up in 3rd place’s spin at the first corner. Or you could qualify 5th and you don’t. In this reasoning that’s hardly fair.

The race is a competitive environment with variables that can lead to differing results. You can’t, and shouldn’t, legislate for the variables, but you can give the same penalty.

The penalty should be appropriate for the offense and that is debatable. Once established give consistent penalties and preferably keep it in the same race. Then as a fans we watch with interest how it unfolds.