View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:14 (Ref:3695688)   #1611
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think generally in team sports that doesnt happen very often. typically you do tell your locker room in advance that you are retiring and you do discuss with your club so they can send you out in style. it motivates your team and shows love to your fans....plus it sells merchandise.

we just saw this with Massa and Button, two drivers who i would say are considered the model of what a good team player is.

but my point wasnt to put Nico down or call him selfish (apologies if it came out that way) but more to highlight that he had this plan to retire for a while now. so i do think how he retired should change the way we look at how he handled this season.

imo merc would not have supported his title challenge if they knew he was going to retire so Nico did what he had to do. he worked his team just like his team mate works his team. for sure more in hindsight with Nico but i wouldnt describe either merc driver as a team player this season.

i dont think this makes Nico a bad guy or anything...actually i think it makes him pretty darn smart.