View Single Post
Old 23 May 2002, 14:18 (Ref:293614)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just bought Autosport at lunchtime?

I see that this is along the lines your previous thread.

It surprises me that Ratel doesn't remember who has got his sportscar series where it is now. After the demise of the 3.5l series the BPR series, which was almost exclusively ameteurs rescued it and gave us something to watch. They then again helped out with the blip that happened with GT1 a few years back. And this is without going back to the Group C days (and earlier) to consider the role of the amateur.

There simply aren't enough professional drivers out there to fill the 50 odd 3 car teams for Le Mans and all the other series out there. This partly because there isn't enough cash to fund all these drivers and teams. The only way to get full grids is to have people paying for drives.

Sportscar racing has never had (and never will have) grids full of professionals. Even F1 can't manage that and at least the sponsorship there does get profiled.

I am happy with the current situation. These drivers are all doing something they love (and say so and don't moan!). Most of them are pretty good. And they manage to talk about and convey the sport with passion and excitement because to them it isn't a job it is a sport.

You are obviously a keen Autosport reader. What about the driver profile a couple of weeks back (May 9th 2002) of Bob Garretson - a privateer. He won Daytona and Sebring in a Porsche 935 (and is a top bloke!).

One final thing I will say is this: A driver will more talent will always have an advantage - he will be quicker!

Anyway, thanks for the sportscar news. It's great to get it - don't have to wait till I get home to read it. Cheers