View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2020, 06:53 (Ref:3972926)   #82
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
One can hope for the past and get nowhere, or they can adapt and survive. Coronavirus is gonna lay a whupping on many different race series around the world, and the realities of the automotive industry of the world will make that damage more painful still. But regardless, sitting still will get the world of racing cars nowhere.

Beyond that, the comment about how changing computer components is less of an impact than wrenching on something IMO is a bit foolish. You can do incredible things with electronics in cars in modern times, and those electronics make possible many aspects of the amazing performance of modern cars. Whether its technowizards like the Nissan GT-R, examples of the finest design like the Pagani Zonda, cars debuting new technologies like the Tesla Model S or Koenigsegg Regera or simply a muscle car that can make 450+ horsepower but get 30+ highway miles per gallon like the new Chevrolet Corvette, electronics have made these (amazing) cars possible. And while yes, some people have absolutely no earthly clue how to work on modern cars, some do know how to work on the modern cars of today, and I'm quite sure people then didn't have a clue how to wrench on cars back then either.
Everything stated above is quite true.

I don't know if it is a dispute with my post or not (tho' I presume it is as you quoted it), and if so, I think you misunderstood my intent.

As in my "The love affair is nearly over and there's no (sorrowfully) turning back.", I realize there is no reason to "hope for the past". I agree as I don't have a DeLorean, let alone a flux capacitor to install in one.

As in my second paragraph, I believe youth's love affair, and the desire to do hands on modification, is fading fast.
I understand the improvements in technology and performance; but even more performance could easily be extracted mechanically (cams, heads, exhaust etc. etc.) along with electronics, as the manufacturers are still bound by the limitations they have, as always. The parts are still available, you just don't see nearly as many "backyard mechanics" as you used to. The interest just isn't there.

Regarding "adapting and surviving", to each his own. I, and many others obviously, do by finding other things to do, as witnessed by the broadcasters attempts to keep the stands off camera so as not to show the empty seats that they used to intentionally pan, announcing "proudly" how "It's another sellout crowd!!!".

The latest crop of citizens of the planet earth are "adapting" by losing interest in the automobile, period; that's the bottom line. To a larger and larger percentage of the population, it's just a means of transportation.

I enjoyed auto racing, watching and participating myself, (from '75 on, IMSA in particular), it had a good, approximate, hundred year run. It's been on the downturn for at least a couple of decades now.

'Can't stop change, just ask Alvin Toffler...

jimclark