View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4179847)   #207
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought more drag increased the wake, which makes it harder for the car that's following to get closer to the car in front. Wasn't that the reason for the new ground effect formula?
Complex topic.

I think it is the characteristics of the prior generation aero that resulting in particularly turbulent air behind the cars. I think the current spec was as much about changing the shape of the turbulent flow to make it less impactful of cars behind. For example it is not just the underbody wing. The mandated aero over the front wheel is an example of them looking to condition the wake in a specific way. I don't think it was about "reducing drag".

I broadly think a large part of the NEW effort to reduce drag is to more about ensuring the new cars can maintain similar speeds while using a PU that is likely to be less capable than the current generation. Simulations of a potential 2026 PU in the current cars was showing them having to lift and coast or slow on long straights. This fear was addressed by those working on the 2026 regulations by calling out that the 2026+ cars would have a technical spec that would result in less drag. Most likely by reducing the frontal area (narrower car, narrower tires, etc.) and maybe even active aero to reduce drag at high speed.

Richard.