View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3916024)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Seems then, that I need to remove the filters. As said I do have lens hoods fitted. Will give it a go at the Silverstone Classic.

Peter,

You'll probably only really notice it at certain angles and bright light positions when it's relatively dark.

But yes, removing the filter(s) could help though possibly not entirely eliminate.

What aperture were you using for that shot? There might be some compensation to be had there but the trade off between f-stop, shutter speed and ISO setting is not always easy especially in high movement situations.

In general most lenses for a couple of decades or more have had very good coatings - especially externally - so that the use of filters is not that much help in terms of protection (though a hood can be) the original UV/Skylight filtration adjustments were intended for film whereas now they are dealt with either by filters on the sensor and in camera software or, additionally, by computer software.

Part of the reason fot at is that the digital cameras will do their own thing for things like White Balance which was one of the primary uses of filters back in film days.

If one shoots RAW images, rather than in camera jpg, even the White Balance is not relevant since it can be completely changed by the 'development'/editing process.

For action shots some of the more serious correction filters can prove problematic for some of the camera settings (unless shooting manual mode). In particular for actions shots where a filter may have a significant affect on the amount of light available to the focus system and therefore affect the speed at which it operates.

I once tried an experiment with a 1 series Canon camera, a very fast (f2.8) 70-200mm zoom lens and a Polarising filter on an extremely sunny day at Brands Hatch. Pretty much head on with the sun behind me on the straight heading into Hawthorn's Bend

Whatever I tried, with the filter in place the focus system never did better that catch the very rear of a car. It just could not follow focus quickly enough because of the extra 2 stops of light loss due to the filter despite the very bright light.