Thread: TUI
View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1819071)   #35
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was actually Toby St. George Matthews. I may have one or two photos of the car but while the basic colour scheme was white, Toby elected to run a huge 'traveler’s sun' on the nose of the car, a very large intricate design that came from a guy that did travelers caravans ...
One of the races we supported was the first round of the IROC series where they used those fantastic RSR Porsches. I maybe repeating myself here but I was walking the circuit just previous to the Riverside race as Donohue was setting each of the 12 race cars up for Penske.
After the championship winning Silver Cup UK series, the two SVees were flown out to LA for the final two rounds of the US Gold Cup series. Good money to be earnt as IIRC. I had to put them together under the wing of the plane that took them over LA International, get all the kit into a hire van and borrow a trailer to get to Riverside and Laguna Seca the week afterwards. Fred Opert broke the back of the trip and a very memorable adventure it was. Can't quite recall the results; 10th I think at Riverside for me, and better maybe 8th at Laguna. Toby didn't have such a good trip; no misdemeanors don't recall his placing. Will look for results again.