View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2023, 14:06 (Ref:4148671)   #59
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3_Fan View Post
Well I just did turn if off earlier today in fact! And watching now NLS replay actually. A series and a track that knows how to manage stalled car situations. It is 7 pm as I am typing this. I decided to not even look at the standings in the Sebring race until almost 10 pm. I am predicting no less than 5 cars on the lead lap in GTP. 50/50 odds there is a safety car period with 20 minutes to go in the race.

ALMS did not have similar rules. You actually had to pass lapped cars at a restart. In fact you had to do that through 2017. Otherwise Long Beach would not have been as interesting as it was when a GTLM car was leading overall with under 20 minutes left. And I think the wave around rules came from Grand Am more than ALMS.

You can like something and still criticize it for its faults. If I ever see John Doonan walk by at a track I'm going to say to him that the current safety car procedures is ruining the quality of the races in the series. Most of all the endurance races. It is the largest problem the for IMSA Weathertech series right now by far.
I had a chat with John on Friday morning before qualifying and we didn't bother to bring it up. Nice fellow and he came back for a visit to our flag station with Marshal Pruett a bit later that day.