View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1748005)   #156
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R

I do feel sorry for the privateer teams but it is the same in every category of motorsport that is a open formula, the manufacturer backed teams almost always end up on top.

Sportscar racing is slowly getting back to how it was back in 2001-2002 with lots of factory teams and competitve privateers in all classes. Long may it continue!
I wouldn't feel too sorry, who remembers RFH winning race after race in the FIA ISRS, yet everyones well aware of Dysons almost legendary fights against Audi in the ALMS.

Factory competition brings many benefits to the series and it's privateers, not least media and fan attention.

If the privateer ranks are large enough, teams can have great racing between themselves, even if the factories drive off into the distance (which I don't believe will happen).

Already we are seeing the benefits of Peugeots arrival, this months Evo magazines lead story is about the 908, while the 206 Cup is mentioned elsewere. Both articles also namecheck the Le Mans Series.

In recent years, other than a small mention about Audi, the focus has always been on the GM vs Astons battles, now the focus is on prototypes.

Last edited by JAG; 24 Oct 2006 at 19:38.