View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2973619)   #21
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
So , can we expect to see MIK Corse kicking some butt this year ?

There is a rumour that they will contest the WEC with a Zytek/Hybrid ..... turn key car , should be magnificent !!!
No. They'll be lucky (probably very lucky) to beat the likes of OAK and Rebellion even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
If they don't get it right the first time, shouldn't they reserve the right to fix things?
Fix what though? Fix the difference between diesel and petrol theoretically? Fix the difference between the diesel teams and petrol teams as things exist right now? Fix the difference between the diesel and petrol teams as things are expected to be in 2012 (or whatever future period)?

There's the possibility of balance of technology and then there is balance of performance on a team by team (or car to car) basis. This line is blurred because of the fact that the "have" teams are running one type of fuel while the "have nots" are running the other type of fuel. Things will change in the future and another layer of technology, hybrids, will be added. Some teams will have hybrids, some will not. The teams that have hybrids will use different types of hybrid systems. Potentially, these different hybrid systems will have performance differences on the track. How is this dealt with is the key question to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The one big risk for the manufacturers if there are 4 or 5 of them if one of them does a very good job in their energy recovery and storage system.
This will give such a car a very significant advantage leaving the opposition looking very poor.
Such a situation could lead to manufacturers leaving very quickly as it could take a couple of years to catch up.
Potentially. We cannot assume that all factory teams will have Audi and Peugeot levels of quality. Some may be worse, perhaps some may be better. We'll see. Will the ACO balance the teams and the technology they use? Will the ACO say they are balancing technology when what they are really doing is balancing teams in order to make it more palatable?

I'm not sure if we live in an era where a team can dominate Le Mans and win it by two or three laps. Ok, it's one thing if that happens thanks to a fluke type deal (like Petit), but what happens if a team goes and stomps on the throughout the whole race? I think it would be outrage. Personally, I would congratulate the winners and/or criticize the losers. Others would probably claim rule outrage and demand changes. What is the ACO to do? Tell the fans, factories, and privateers to shut their pieholes and understand the word competition? Or do they go the "Made for TV" route?

Unfortunately, attention spans are short and the ACO may feel compelled to try to make the whole 24 Hours (or 6 hours for regular races) a drama filled, action packed thriller just to keep people from switching the channel to see what's cooking on the Food Network or to watch reality shows of ex-sports car racer Bruce Jenner. I'm hoping the ACO keeps their eyes on the ball and does not worry about what everyone else is doing in a global sense, but we'll see how things play out.