View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:35 (Ref:4002437)   #177
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Agree, I think the rule makers are as much to blame as the 12 drivers.
I think the FIA should think of a better way of doing this.
Don't we rail against the ongoing increasing complexity of the sport? Should they enact speed limiter that neuter the car until it crosses the timing loop at the start/finish? Use ultrasonic sensors to enforce strict distancing between the cars as they approach the start/finish line? Add another 5-10Kg of maximum weight to the cars to allow for the extra sensors, etc.

I think the problem is that this type of start is not particularly common so drivers are not particularly experienced with the nuances of how to do this. On top of this the track configuration aggravated things. It is highly likely that history will show that this was a relatively rare event.

These are supposedly the top drivers in the world! Bottas did what he should have done (and frankly he had the easiest thing to do which is to only worry about those behind him). Those further back really needed a bit of cooperation between those behind and in front of each car. This requires both some experience (and with that experience is awareness of how this does and doesn't work). But they were pushing the envelope as to what they could do (speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, but don't pass!) and it bit them hard. Lastly Botta could have even driven differently (faster or more constant speed) and that still wouldn't have guaranteed the rear of the field wouldn't have screwed it all up!

Richard