View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2023, 22:46 (Ref:4148567)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
All I'm saying is the time penalty shouldn't be combined with the tyre stop, it should be completely separate.
That would be a different penalty then though.

For reference, the penalties are (in increasing severity):
  • 5 second penalty - either taken at the next stop, or added to the race time at the chequered flag (putting the driver 5 seconds back of their on-track position)
  • 10 second penalty (as per 5 second penalty, but longer)
  • Drive-through penalty - dependent on circuit, can cost 20-25 seconds impact on on-track position.
  • 10 second stop-and-go - in addition to the drive-through, an additional 10 seconds stationary in the pit lane is to be observed. Dependent on circuit, can cost 30-35 seconds impact on on-track position.
The 5 and 10 second penalties must be served the next time the driver enters their pit box. They are designed to be only 5 and 10 seconds.
The drive-through and stop-and-go penalties must not be used at the same time as a pit stop.

I think the clearest indication of how punishing each penalty is intended to be is if the driver is not able to serve the penalty due to the race having less than 3 laps left.

5 sec = 5 sec added to race time.
10 sec = 10 sec added to race time.
drive-through = 20 sec added to race time.
stop-and-go = 30 sec added to race time.

A time penalty not combined with a tyre stop would be a stop-and-go penalty.