View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2020, 02:59 (Ref:4005955)   #238
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
British GP - Mercedes Believed the tyres would last the race, there was zero indication from the rest of the weekend that tyres would blow.

If they pitted Bottas as you say, then either that would have favoured Bottas, or they would have pitted Hamilton and status quo would have resumed, problem is Verstappen was too close to pit either and Mercedes could have thrown away the win
What MB believed doesn't matter as it wasn't occurring during the race. At the point where a driver is saying they can't see, I'd expect a genuinely professional racing team to adjust their plans. They didn't, and allowed Bottas to subsequently fail to score points solely due to their neglect. There's been no recognistion of this post race. Bottas' 5 point deficient to Hamilton blows out to 30, and it's all on the team.
Quote:
70th GP - Hamilton yet again makes his tyres last longer than bottas..has a track record because he knew the best way to win the race was have a large tyre offset from Bottas.
I acknowledge Hamilton's strength of using his tyres. The sticking point is that it almost always doesn't matter with the way MB operate their pit strategies (pitting one lap apart. Track position is typically seems to be the determining factor in MB's strategies.

In the case this race, it wasn't a straightforward scenario with Verstappen/RB threatening to win. I agree with the adjustment of Hamilton's strategy (It's not just him determining it though) when it becomes the difference between an MB or RB winning.

Since they ultimately blinked and pitted Hamilton (He didn't hang on to win, and pitted too late to make the most of fresh tyres relative to Verstappen). I would expect MB pattern of track position determining strategies of both Hamilton and Bottas (pitting one lap a part), and accounting that MB were primarily responsible for Bottas' failure to score points the previous week.

I expected MB to acknowledge that Bottas took pole, he had track position and the better of Hamilton, pulling away prior to the first stop. They tried to get the win, but it didn't work. So instead of being "free to race" when they handed Hamilton a huge advantage, I expected them to ask Hamilton to hold station.
Quote:
Belgian GP - Agreement was to use equal power modes against eachother. if bottas had increased his mode, so would hamilton and status quo would have resumed but weakening both drivers chances against Max
The agreement flies in the face of what we heard from what we heard of the radio communication broadcasted. It wouldn't have weakened Hamilton that much, and that's only if he did decide to turn the wick up. But this to me is one of the more tenuous moments to infer favouritism.
Quote:
Mugello GP - Bottas requested the alternate strategy, but it only works if you pit second, he couldnt make his tyres last (yet again) and lost that advantage, by his own admission his tyres were finished....thats his fault.
I'm interested to know of this admission. And will look for various sources before asking you if I need to.

As of this race, I find it peculiar that after hearing that radio communication, that MB deviate from their typical pattern of stopping. Bottas requested an alternative tyre to Hamilton (presumably even if the theory was saying it would be to his disadvantage, or if he stopped before Hamilton).

Quote:
Care to give examples of those instances of strategy in 4 years? from where im sitting i cant remember the last time they were on different strategies, the only difference being in stint lengths on how long one of the drivers can make their tyres last.
Off the top of my head, aside from Silverstone last year, I'm not familiar with pit strategies undermining the other MB. There's also the Italian GP last year which was to Bottas' benefit. That was the difference between an MB or Ferrari win though, and the championship situation was leaning on the side of non threatening for Hamilton.

It's the lack of it occurring in the past that makes it more peculiar to me that it's occurred this year.

Quote:
Lewis has shown over the last few years that if he cant get an offset large enough to overtake on track he will do so by extending his stint, something that bottas has the opportunity to do, but doesnt seem capable of doing.
Aside from Silverstone last year, it doesn't occur though. The inital track position is key (even when Rosberg was there)The advantage Hamilton has with tyres normally just blows out his lead when he wins. Bottas often (if not always) holds off Hamilton despite the disadvantage with tyres. Dirty air is dirty air, and Hamilton gets affected by that regardless of how well he looks after his tyres.

Quote:
Sounds to me that you want Bottas to have preferential treatment with engine modes and strategy......
Presuming you're familiar with cricket terminology? I view Bottas' recent radio communications as attempting to "throw the bat". But the requests are denied.