Thread: WEC FIA WEC calendar
View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2024, 14:13 (Ref:4206836)   #174
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
… that they will happily put on low key stuff …

… and that is seemingly what Silverstone want to host anything these days, a massive crowd …
I am sorry, I am not following any of this. Testing is something (I thought you can watch general testing if you want), but race meetings do or don’t have big into the crowds.

Here is this years calendar that will have the full range of attendance: https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events. This weekend onwards, there have always been a couple of events. 25 race meetings, with quite a variety. Which should we drop for WEC?

I am no way saying Silverstone are perfect, but there are the events that cover quite a spectrum. Including things like the Birkett. Finding some small things we think they should differently, but ignore the 25 meetings they do do then I guess they will always be the big bad Silverstone.

I don’t see anything that means they don’t care or aren’t motorsport fans? They don’t host a WEC race or a 12h bike race? That they have to make choices to keep the place open?

That they can make 750, British GT, a unique event like Birkett, and CSCC work, but WEC isn’t there I think tells us more about WEC.

Quote:
I feel they are now driven by profit more than they ever were if that makes sense.
I am sure Silverstone probably do prefer events that make them money! If they don’t we don’t have Silverstone. If the lens we are viewing them through is a charity then yes they will look like money grabbing businessmen.

They can’t compete with Bahrain and Qatar for WEC, and neither should they. That is not a model Silverstone should go to.

They are also a different style to the likes of Cadwell, Oulton and Anglesey. Going to Silverstone is a different thing to going to these other venues. This is a good thing, variety. Although all of these tracks make the same kind of choices to keep open, just on a different scale.

Would I love it to have a WEC race there. Hell yeah. If we worked for Silverstone and assuming they even have the opportunity to push for a WEC race I reckon both you and I would reluctantly not. Because we aren’t stupid.