Thread: WEC WEC 2021 season
View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2020, 12:11 (Ref:4007555)   #157
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
It looks like LMP2 could become more Am. Possible that crews will have to include two Silvers or a Bronze. Not sure if that means two Platinum and a Bronze would be allowed.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...-for-2021.html
I'm not sure if I like that.

The push for "an Am for everybody" comes from people like Van Eerd (Mr. Jumbo) and - probably to a lesser extent - Hedman, Patterson and Perrodo who want to see their cars compete for wins.
They are both the weak link in the cars lineup and the reason the car is there.
Of course they can never win against teams with a full pro lineup or what they call 'a fake silver'.

I am not sure how to solve this problem.
Maybe just keep LMP2 as it is, and organize a podium and trophies for the Pro-Am entries in the class too, like SRO does.
Didn't we have that before?

--

One problem with going totally Pro-Am is that there will even be less space for a good decent Gold driver who is just not as quick as an established Gold or Platinum.

Another problem is the position this puts people like Rusinov and Hanson in (and thus G-Drive and United Autosports)
The G-Drive car is only there because of Rusinov. Rusinov is Gold. Since he had been upgraded to gold, he has always employed a young silver driver that was better than him (Van uitert, Jensen) so Rusinov was the 'weak link' in the lineup.
I'm not sure he is looking forward to be the Gold driver and have to employ 2 silvers or a bronze.
United Autosports evolves around Hanson. He is currently Silver and races with Albuquerque. They don't want another driver to maximize Phil's driving time.
Nobody will be surprised if Hanson gets upgraded to Gold.
Where will that put the #22 car in a Pro-Am field?