Old 10 Jan 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2103867)   #7
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
DBR1/2
1957 construction – 1st at Spa Sports Car Race (Brooks), it repeated this performance when it won at Nurburgring 1000kms (Brooks/Cunningham-Reid). It crashed at Le Mans whilst lying 2nd (Brooks/Cunningham-Reid). It then finished 1st at the Belgian GP at Spa (Brooks).
1958 – Retired at Sebring (Moss/Brooks), was forced off the road at Nurburgring (Brooks/Lewis-Evans), retired at Le Mans (Brooks/Trintignant) but then came 1st in the TT at Goodwood (Moss/Brooks)
1959 – 1st at Le Mans (Salvadori/Shelby) and then 1st again in the TT at Goodwood (Moss/Shelby/Fairman)
1960 – Sold to Major Ian Baillie who drove it (with Greenall) at the Nurburgring; it finished but unclassified, apparently! Finished 9th at Le Mans (Baillie/Fairman)
1961-1962 – Remained with, and raced by, Baillie
1963 – Acquired by David Ham and raced by him for the 3 seasons
1966 - Acquired by Chris Stewart and raced by him for several years, although Neil Corner also campaigned it and appears to have purchased a joint ownership, or possibly outright purchase at some stage.
1971 – Last recorded outing by Corner but Stewart continues to race it until …….
1977? – Purchased by Geoffrey Marsh
1980 (circa) – Goes to the Setton private collection France. Returns to UK in …..
1992 – Acquired by Tim Samway and rebuilt by him, the car has occasionally been driven by Tony Dron but much more often by Peter Hardman with whom the car has become closely (and spectacularly!) associated, especially at the Goodwood Revival when with it, he won the Lavant Cup in 1999 and 2000. Car, I believe remains in Tim Samway’s ownership.

Fitted with engine no. RB6/300/6. Carries registration no. XSK 497

Pictured at Coys, Silverstone 1996. Driven by Tony Dron it finished 4th in a big field in the Louis Vuitton Race for 1950’s Sports cars for the Duncan Hamilton Trophy.

Following some e-mails with JT reference another car I realised I had some "fact" information for several car, these notes from my late Dad's files with reference to Geoffrey Marsh/Marsh Plant:-