View Single Post
Old 15 Oct 2004, 04:24 (Ref:1124908)   #4
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
This is a really risky step.

V8 supercars trade heavily on the make-believe that the cars are "worked" versions of the latest taxi or sales rep car. People like to identify with the race cars. Deep down we all know they are really a cross between nascars and Sports Sedans, and have more in common with each other then with "me mates new car", but we are willing to suspend disbelief in the name of a good race.

However if they open it up to v8 rear drive camry or magna, on a blueprint wheelbase and track (like since when a have falcons and commies had same wheelbase? since blueprint, it seems), I think this may well over stretch the point.

Can you imagine a magna or camrty stretched and widened to the same size as a falcon, with a v8 rear drive and huge wings? no? Im not sure the punters can either. It could cause people to turn away and look for a more "relevant" class.