View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3585474)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Surprise, surprise, whoever would have thought that MB would like the idea? I think BE has lost his marbles over this, it is a bad idea and it will cause unseen problems before it is settled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As Max said in the German interview, when ever something new was presented to the teams, there would always be opposition from some of the them but it was a case of the teams eventually coming around. However, with all the money Mercedes have thrown at this, I'm not too sure with Jean Todt in charge. He seems very conspicuous by his absence.
What else would you realistically expect any of the current PSU providers to say? They have invested untold millions in the current units, and BCE (and others) is proposing that they open up the competition to other suppliers who could possibly produce an engine that would be more than competitive, but done for a fraction of the cost.

It might seem as though it is a good idea to those who only spectate, or are a team that is struggling financially, but it makes a mockery of the rule stability that is in place for exactly this reason. It will possibly lead to the loss of the three major car manufacturers, and now that Ferrari has been partially floated on the New York Stock Exchange (it happened on Friday), their shareholders may have something to say about the wasted money.

This is what I find unacceptable about F1; if a team starts to dominate for one reason or another (but funnily enough, never Ferrari), the FIA or someone else steps in to take away the advantage. I think that I am right in saying that when Cosworth were about to introduce their latest incarnation of the V8, the opposition realised that their engines might not be a match for it. So they got the FIA to change the rules so that engine revs were reduced which immediately took away the performance gain that Cosworth had created in an engine that revved upto 22,000 rpm.