View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2949607)   #10
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Duncan, the car you have is indeed Chassis number 001. I recall you outbidding me for it at the Gaydon Auction!! The car was the test & developement Group A car which then became Rene Metge's French Production touring car in 1983. See Dave Puzey's list for subsequent races.

Both chassis no's 001 & 002 were converted to Bastos Replica cars in 1985/6, 001 subsequently ended up in the Gaydon museum & 002 went to europe as a replica. After looking for many years I located 002 in Holland in 2007, after pestering the guy who owned it for 4 years I managed to buy it from him in June this year. It is now at my home/workshop. Unfortunately it is in much the same state as yours with brakes & suspension missing.

Asto the chassis numbers I can only assume that whilst the cars were being stripped & painted the chassis numbers were switched. Remember the cars never had 'Chassis plates; per se but just TWR 001 or 002 stamped on a small aluminium plate above the o/s headlamp. There is no doubt that the car I have is 002, the doors are all yellow inside as is the roof etc under the white paint.

002 only ever raced in 1983, it won & lost the BTCC but won the TT with Steve Soper & Rene Metge. It is my intention to rebuild it as the Hepolite car it is back to its original spec.

Regards.