View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3590022)   #44
Lotus20Guy
Rookie

Lotus20Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lotus 20 Chassis ID investigation (stretched Frame 5.1/2 inches)

Hello Im new here and the excited owner of a 1961 lotus 20. I purchased the car from a collector in California who knew very little of the car, and did not have any log books or knowledge of its history other than whom he purchased it from.
After spending days looking for a chassis number, I struck out and started the investigation of its history. I have researched it back to Ted Smith who acquired in late 1997 raced the car in several events on both coasts here in the colony's during the 1998 season. He was researching the cars past on many sites before his untimely passing in late 1998. Reading his posts,and reply's it seems he felt the car possibly came from NZ, im guessing because of the lack of chassis ID stamp. He was aware the car had not been raced in the eight years before his purchase. I traced the fuel cell purchase in 1997 to a Bill Dolson's shop in NJ ironically ( since I reside in NJ also), (don't hold it against me)but it closed in 2004, I've located his cell and left a message, hoping to hear back as he certainly holds some clues if he remembers the car or has retained records. He either owned the car or did restoration work on it. The Key to identifying this car is the Frame has been Stretched 5.5 Inches in the midsection of the main frame tubes, (the welding is exceptional) and possibly dates back to its manufacturing, not sure. The car was entered and raced by Mr. Smith in several events in 1998 as a 20B, it has a 105 E and Renault Dolphine gearbox. It appears to have the 20/22 conversion to discs & additional rear suspension bar. Its currently Red #20 but chips on the (also stretched nose) clearly show it was BRG at one point. I have many many pictures of the car and would gladly email anyone interested in seeing them.
Im hoping this forum is still active as it has provided the most insite into this fascinating aspect of owning a vintage lotus. thanks and hope to hear from you, feel free to email me. B.C.