View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1068106)   #11
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was staning on the spectator bank by the grandstand that day. Seems an awfully long time ago but here goes for my recolections.

I think he'd had a spin at Church and was coming back up though the field. He was closing on his team-mate Elton Julian as they approached the chicance but miss judged the braking and went up over the back of Julian's car. He inverted in the air and landed upside down in the tyrewall before flipping into the catch fencing at about 10ft up. What remained of the car then landed at the base of the catch fencing. I was directly in line and there was no way anyone would have ever survived that accident even in current safety standards.

I can still remeber the noise of that first impact and the smell of petrol and oil in the air. It's something I never want to witness agian. Touch wood it's my only fatal accident in 16 years of going to watch and 8 years of marshalling.

Rest in peace Marcel. You were destined for better things.