View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2003, 23:33 (Ref:472528)   #74
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, we couldn't walk around to the other side of Jacques; he made a point of turning to keep the back of his bald head toward us if we walked around! "That's just the way he is" is the exact point I was trying to make. And that is exactly the kind of person who would NOT be suitable for CWS, where a certain degree of access is mandatory.

At the ALMS races before last year, the drivers were arranged in a square with their backs to one another, and the fans were moved along in front of them and out the back when they had been round the square ONCE in ONE direction. It took me 12 minutes to traverse that square and get every autograph I wanted. There was no lingering, no backtracking, no chitchat after the pen went down, and no having your photo taken with the driver; you just kept moving. And one autograph per person (or two at the most depending on who the driver was.) There was a firm start and end time, and ALL drivers were REQUIRED to be there. If you wanted an autograph, you got in line and if the time was up before you got there, you were SOL.

I can't imagine that accommodating a group of people who had paid something like $1,500 to attend the only Formula One race they would get to that year, which could easily be a month's salary for some people, would cause any particular driver to keel over from anxiety and exhaustion.

============

If Jacques wants to race in a series without any fans to face, I could point him in the right direction. However, if things continue as they are, F1 will be like that in another year.