Thread: WTCC The hypothetical WTCC
View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2000, 01:52 (Ref:53115)   #15
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about htis idea?

My ideas for the WTCC (Please remember I am not too good with techincal stuff , so there may be a few stupid errors in this )

TRACKS:
OK, I don't want to spoil everyones fun choosing tracks, but I personally think we must limit the number of events to 5 or 6. WHY? Because I doubt that enough teams would commit to a championship with 15-16 rounds. A driver would probably prefer to finish first in his national series, than seventh or eighth in an International Series. How about having all the races towards the end of the season? Also, maybe it would be wise to keep the series out of America to begin with.
(Calender: Brands Hatch [6 hour endurance race], Monza [?], Adelaide [500km], Donnington, Nurburgring [prefrably the Nordschleife, but we may have to use the boring new one for safety reasons], and Spa [24 hour] to finish of the season.
Races in September - December.

FORMAT:
Sprint races and endurance. No reverse grid though! Apart from the Brand Hatch, Adelaide and Spa endurace rounds, I think we should have two 40 minute races, with compulsory pitstops in the first race.
The endurace rounds would have three drivers per car for the 24 hour race, and two for the other races. Compulsory pitstop changes of course! Adelaide 500 should be at night time, from 6:30pm, till 9-10pm.

CARS:
How about three classes?
Class A: 5.0 Litre V8's, similar to Aussie V8 Supercars. Engines must not be turbocharged and cars must be based on production cars. Engines must be based on production engines where possible (Cars: Ford Falcon, Volvo C70, Mercedes CLK, Audi TT, Holden Commodore, Opel Astra)

Class B: 2.0 Litre Super Tourers (Cars: Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra, Audi A4, BMW 318i, Nissan Primera, Honda Accord, Peugoet 405, Alfa Romeo 156)

CLASS C: Turbocharged 4WD cars. Lots of turbo boost (Cars: Nissan Skyline, Subaru WRX, Mitsubushi Lancer that sort of thing)

THE DRIVERS:
I would imagine we would get loads of ex F1 drivers, just like in the ALMS. Young drivers doing well accross the world would also join. I think we'd end up with drivers such as Bernd Schneider, Jason Bright, Gabrieli Tarquini, Jason Plato etc...

SUPPORT ROUNDS:
The Adelaide race could be tied in with the Adelaide Race in the ALMS that is on December 2, 2001. All other rounds could be supported by a historic touring car race featuring Sierra's and TWR Jaguars. What about a celebrity race to keep the fans happy.

I think this is such a good post that I might make a feature of this at my website. I may even propose the idea to a few car manufacturers and drivers to see what they think of it. Also, perhaps as smeone has laready suggested, I could submit the idea to FIA to see what they think.

BY the way, does anyone object to having there ideas incorporated into the feature? I would of course credit the Ten-Tenth posters who contributed.