View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:25 (Ref:835567)   #27
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had asked last summer about the 4.6L DOHC or Quad-Cam Ford and the 5.4L DOHC Ford in the "Next Generation of Ford"....

I was told that the 4.6 L didn't have the room to really increase the displacement (but I haven't been able to confirm that), and that the 5.4 L's ovarall size was too big, etc...supposedly the 5.4 L block is big....like the old Ford 429 block...in measured size....it is used in their trucks and SUVs....

Those were the engines I was referring to.....

Exploring the possibility of lengthening the stroke of the 4.6 L DOHC might be an option....but it would require a bigger cam....I don't know if there is room for it....I was told this engine doesn't have lots of extra room for boring out anything on the heads or the block...

I couldn't get more specific answers on these questions than what I noted here...the 4.6 L has been used in Mustangs, Lincoln Mark VIII's etc...it has fairly good power to it...

If others do know any possibilities for this 4.6 L Ford, please share with us....

One American Open Wheel Series!