View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2016, 20:49 (Ref:3665811)   #40
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The dilemma is that using a pure road course like Miller (which was pretty much considered garbage when GA ran there yet not too bad now or when ALMS tried it) that results in nothing to grow the sport when it comes to spectators. Yet Kansas and Iowa brings in new fans that never understood this kind of racing yet really liked it. For example the same group of new fans came out for a second year in a row at both places because they really liked it. Then we dropped those places and the locals (as we all know you have to pull in the local population because many cannot afford to go to more than one race per year) didne see it again, they just lose interest and go back to what they know.

I don't know about you guys but people I meet really like to come by and look at the cars, talk to the drivers and learn about it. They look at it as being part of the sport. I thought that's what sportscar fans wanted. Maybe they would rather just watch it streaming and then call it a day. That's why I think that just having races as a private track day and a camera crew showing up might be the better route to go. Then it would be easier to pick out better road courses to let the GT cars roam in their natural environment. Instead of Kansas Speedway Topeka would be the best choice. Nobody would show up yet it would be on a natural road course. Mission accomplished.