View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3111664)   #102
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
See where I am from that couldn't be further from the truth. No one has a clue what Le Mans is or what it entails. Outside of hardcore sportscar fans in America. When you say motorsport they laugh and say you watch Nascar...That is there only concept of Motorsport. You could even ask the guys at ABC or Fox news and they probably have no idea what Le Mans is.

In Europe having gone there the average Joe has a good idea of what you are watching when he shows up in the hotel lounge.

Here evern Nascar viewership is dying. ALMS and Le Mans is such a niche in America.

In the same way Americans have a understanding that Nascar exist. Germans are aware of DTM, Europeans of Le Mans and N24 probably.
Sadly, this is so true I remember telling my friends that I was watching a car race (Sebring) and they all instantly thought of Nascar. Then I explained to them that it was nothing like Nascar, that the GT cars actually look like the street car and they didn't believe me. I also remember one time I was watching an Indycar race and my friends thought I was watching Formula One

Here in Ontario, I'd say more people know about the Indy 500 because it is on TV and in the newspaper the next day. Actually the Indy 500 makes the front page every year.