View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4098509)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
In aviation if an airplane is 15% heavier than it needs to be and it's engine 7x more expensive than necessary, any investor would laugh you out the door. in F1 we say it looks good and make excuses why it is a good design.
That depends on what the intended use of the airplane is.
I don't see the analogy. An airplane designed to carry people over a long distance and is built to one set of parameters.

If a car can be designed, built and sold for less than £8k in the UK - then why don't we laugh every other heavier, more expensive car out of the door? Because F1 is not about building the lightest car to move people around in - it is about creating a formula within which competitors race.

There are many things about F1 that could be done to make cheaper, lighter cars to race in. Why don't they just use F4 regulations?

From the outset, it seems like the case to go back to smaller wheels and tyres is based on a dislike for the 18" wheels, and has no real benefits to F1.