View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 01:38 (Ref:825453)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
does F1 need more street races like Monaco and Canada?? ofcourse they have produced some great Gp's over the past few years but tracks like Malaysia give more chance for overtaking.
so simple enough question..
Just to echo The Monster's thoughts, just how much overtaking have you seen at Sepang? (not including wet races, they don't count)
If you ever pop into Armchair Enthusiast, you'll see a thread with more than 4000 posts called "My Tracks". We frequently have this debate of how much overtaking these modern super tracks offer.
Race track design is more of an art than you might think. It's very difficult to engineer into a new track overtaking spots. I would argue it's nearly impossible to judge the correct corner combinations that will allow passing. A tight corner at the end of a long straight is not an answer. Look at Monza's first corner if you want proof of how inneficient this is.

So my thought would be that street tracks can add variety. They can also be mindless series of right angle bends.

I think what is important is to have more circuits. It's no good pouring all our efforts into these souless showpieces of contemporary architecture, where the circuit is to it's facilites as a parking lot is to a cinema. We're just gonna end up with a single big facility per country, and all the real venues like Brands are gonna go. And that will be sad. Since we cannot build lots more race tracks, it makes sense to have a few more semi permanent street tracks to supplement what we have already.