View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 02:25 (Ref:825459)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canada is a street circuit as far as the driving is concerned, and it is a regular road the rest of the year (apart from the 3 days it's used for the CART race as well). The reason most people don't see it as a street circuit is that most of it is boardered by a few feet of grass and there are small gravel traps in places - other than that, it's just a fairly flat (there are elevation changes - but you have to walk the track to see them) street circuit.

I think F1 could use more street circuits to provide more variety in the circuits. Some drivers really like the street circuits as well, becuase the sensation of speed between the concrete walls is much greater than when the tire walls are 200 feet away (like Nurburgring).

I don't think F1 will go to any more street circuits though, as they are insistent on having elaborate permenant facilities that cannot be found at many street circuits. They've been making an exception for Monaco, because it is Monaco (though they're building some better facilities from what I hear) and Montreal has its own permenant facilities; however, I don't think the F1 snobs would be able to tolerate the cramped and temporary facilities they would find at most street circuits such as Surfers Paradise, Long Beach, etc.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes