View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 22:22 (Ref:826014)   #25
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo

Race track design is more of an art than you might think. It's very difficult to engineer into a new track overtaking spots. I would argue it's nearly impossible to judge the correct corner combinations that will allow passing. A tight corner at the end of a long straight is not an answer. Look at Monza's first corner if you want proof of how inneficient this is.

They can also be mindless series of right angle bends.

I think what is important is to have more circuits. It's no good pouring all our efforts into these souless showpieces of contemporary architecture, where the circuit is to it's facilites as a parking lot is to a cinema. We're just gonna end up with a single big facility per country, and all the real venues like Brands are gonna go. And that will be sad. Since we cannot build lots more race tracks, it makes sense to have a few more semi permanent street tracks to supplement what we have already.
I was kinda baffled when they switched from that superb adelaide track to that park in melbourne.
That backstraight was really nice for overtaking.. recall alesi doing some crazy stuff.
Perhaps the t1 at monza isnt perfect but wasnt that because it is a chicane rather than corner?

Further the overtaking we saw at the british gp was largely due to the increasing tyrewar is what barrichello said after the race.
Silverstone isnt known for overtaking heaven since they killed a few great corners after 94, yet the race was great.

I'm a big fan of the tyrewar and think that is also important factor aside the track lay-out.