Old 10 Aug 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1379315)   #4
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
This is not such a stupid idea.The Mercedes powered cars, on a typical circuit like Zandvoort, have at least a 1 second per lap performance advantage. The Opel powered teams have given up all hope of competing for race victories this season and now race purely against each other. If something isn't done to equalise performance then next year's F3 Euroseries will have no more than 8 to 10 cars entered.Hamilton,Di Grassi,Di Resta etc are good drivers, but make no mistake, the Mercedes engine is making them look alot better than they really are. No way are they a second a lap faster than Rossiter,Perera,Duval,Van Der Garde etc in equal equipment.
too true.

i hate the idea of equaling things up in motorsport. but when drivers of the quality of rossiter, duval etc have to watch drivers such as adrian sutil blast off into the distance it doesnt taste right. fair enough if its f1, or the irl or something but in something like f3, drivers need results to impress people. sure there will be top teams and bottom teams in any series but top teams in lower catagories are usually top because the drivers they have. hamilton is grand as gravy and would be doing well wherever but i look at sutil and there is talent but not enough talent for him to be beating the drivers he does week in and week out.

like i said, its all well and good having a performance advantage in f1 but where young drivers careers are on the line it should be the driver that is the biggest factor in success or failure, not the car they drive. for 2 years now, asm have been just too good. how can sutil and salignon come second in the marlboro masters without having the best car on the grid?

f3 is the so called proving ground. but you cant prove a thing the way it is at the moment.