View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1381347)   #23
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends Chucky, you don't but I do. Especially a signed article by a site that is well connected to Italian teams.

However, even if you don't believe the source it is difficult not to see that Euroseries is going to wrong direction. Like littleman said no driver would spend so much money without a Merc engine. I would go a bit further and add that no serious team would bother to enter without a Merc and of course no junior academy (Briatore's aka RDD or Toyota) will place one of their finest in the category again. Add those facts together and it doesn't look rosy, does it? But then again I am probably prone to doom mongering and speculation as bella thinks.

But hey Mackmot suggested somebody should try something different to battle Mercedes, well Mr Mackie could you please elaborate a bit on that because I don't see much of a choice. Chassiswise you can have a Lola or SLC (best of luck then...) and enginewise you can have a Spiess (no longer an Opel this, so no money for development), a Toyota (like Kolles-Midland, not recommended) or a Mugen (seeing that British teams previously powered by Mugen go elsewhere for their Euro supply doesn't inspire confidence though, does it?).

Of course you could believe Mercedes claim that there won't be any factory supported teams next year. Which will leave the Euroseries exactly where Merc wanted in the first place, effectively a single engine formula. Problems solved? Emmm, no becuse still you would need a good team then to beat the heavily modified ASM cars. And I insist Mr Karmalogic on heavily modified (to the effect of certain dallara parts not being compatible to ASM cars) relying on a source that I consider reliable.

So as a team you could a Manor and start developing your cars as well (a bit of expensive hobby) or hope and pray for sucess ballast to let you have some hope in winning. Or not bother at all as this sucess ballast idea will probably not sit well with young drivers looking for a way to F1. For high quality teams used to winning like Prema, Rosberg and Signature the choice is obvious (more doom mongering and speculation).

Still one question remains though, why Mercedes did all this effort for a simple F3 championship? Are they after doing a collection of championship they destroyed (original versions of DTM and FIA GT are part of the collection already)?