View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2000, 08:36 (Ref:19769)   #6
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having visited the Festival of Speed at Goodwood for the last 4 years, it would be a great shame if the event was to be cancelled in the future.

I think that additional safety measures such as more straw bales at the top of the course would assist, as they have certainly been effective in the past in stopping errant vehicles, without the need to resort to armco, fencing etc.

I notice this year (for the first time??) that there were bales at the base of The Wall which again is good news.

One option that they could go for IF THEY NEED TO, is to make all the runs demos and not run against the clock, as they already do with the bikes. As it is only a small proportion of the entrants are actually going for a time, it shouldn't detract from the spectator experience.

If it isn't too disrespectful in the light of the tragic circumstances to talk about enjoying the weekend, it was the usual excellent show of famous men and machines. A personal highlight was seeing Fittipaldi in the Lotus 72 as that was my favourite when I was younger, but there are just so many great sights, sounds and smells.

I think it's fair to say that Johnny Herbert definitely enjoyed his birthday. We were stood opposite the paddock exit for his final run and to see him reverse back down the track just so that he could do more doughnuts in the entry to the paddock exit (if you get what I mean)was deifimntely something else. Also apparently the rubber marks he made from his last start were about 90 yards long - but I'm sure that it's given Bridgstone some valuable tyre wear data ???

Anyway here's hoping that a sensible solution can be found for the coming years.