View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:720858)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Agree with Wrex and sonic - what's wrong with holding a shoot-out for the BAR drive? Remember Williams did the same thing with Button and Junquiera at the start of 2000. This would be the same only with more drivers (presumably JV, Ant, Sato, Wirdheim etc.) vying for the seat and the added pazazz of it being televised. Of course they won't let the public vote, but it would be interesting to see behind the scenes stuff and would give BAT and the sponsors off-season airtime (Bahrain allowing Lucky Strike ads of course).
I agree there's nothing wrong with a shoot-out and also BAR/BAT would get good airtime. But if they televise it Fame Academy style it will make me feel like they're degrading the sport, but that's just my opinion.

The thing is how many drivers would actually go for it? I mean they've spent years and a lot of money even getting to the stage where they can be in the running for an F1 drive. After all that would they want to put their reputations on the line for a TV show?

There would supposedly be 8 drivers in the running. What would happen to the reputation of the guy voted off first? Granted people in the sport would probably know their true talent, but to the casual viewer (to which this would be part of the target audience I imagine) they'd be seen as 'Look at him! He's rubbish!'.

Also, would there be contract parity for whoever won? If so, I can't see BAR offering a £14m deal so that would put JV out. Mind you I don't think he'd agree to the whole thing anyway.

I agree that they wouldn't let the public vote obviously, but who would? I don't see how there could be a truly un-biasd decision due to the large amount politics that flies around in F1 these days.

Sorry about the long post guys, but I was just on a roll with my thoughts.