View Single Post
Old 2 Apr 2024, 17:57 (Ref:4203621)   #93
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Do you understand the impact of aero based grip on cornering speed? Do you understand why F1 does not have cars nose to tail through higher speed corner in which without the required aero based grip that regular cornering speeds can't be maintained? Do you understand why a gap is required when following in specific situations?

It's not Russell's corner entry that is the problem. It is that he is too close to Alonso and looses enough aero grip from the front wing due to the level of dirty air that this causes him to go off. And he is closer to Alonso in the middle of the corner due to Alonso's erratic behavior/slowing (for whatever reasons) on his own corner entry.

Richard
But once you are at the apex the car ahead would always be on the throttle, the shenanigans into the corner in my opinion is just gamesmanship and for me doesn’t fall under dangerous. If Alonso had braked 100% 200m earlier then yes I could see how that would be considered dangerous, but Russell had completed his braking and was into the corner. OK he was too close but I’m betting Russell was hoping to take advantage down the straight that followed but couldn’t hold the car in the dirty air.

I’m well aware that F1 cars rely on aero grip and what Alonso did was likely done to unsettle Russell, but for me at that point it’s just Russell who has lost it and he has failed to keep his car under control.

I suspect that if Russell had just had a big oversteer moment and then caught the car there would be no discussion and no penalty, but the fact he dropped the car in a big way, does that mean a penalty is more warranted? Is it the action or the outcome that is scrutinised? Or both?

If people are upset at Alonso I’d be far more outraged at the fact he has never shown any remorse or rescinded his “win” at Singapore 2008, which to me is a major blot on his character.

Last edited by Sodemo; 2 Apr 2024 at 18:04.