View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2020, 07:43 (Ref:3985459)   #694
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I think maybe it's too soon to say for certain. It is possible that the initial rush to get back out there racing could simply be a spike caused by people reacting to not having been able to do anything for months.

In that case, it could peter out once that initial flurry fades. Will it just be a 'honeymoon period'?

If the first few meetings planned are reporting higher than usual entries, and people like Max are seeing more than normal interest, it is somewhat difficult to understand how that would be sustainable long term. I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where the Covid situation could give a long term boost to motorsport.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone have any theories as to how the Covid situation could create an increase in competitor participation, at any level, beyond the short term? Considering that millions have lost their jobs during the lockdown, and millions more small business owners (who, can we assume, make up a fair chunk of the competitor demographic?) have had their incomes severely impacted, then it seems logical that this would have an overall negative effect on competitor numbers, in the medium and, possibly, long term.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but am not entirely convinced that I will be, sadly.
Who knows but I fear you may be quite right. With less people racing though, we may see a big reduction in the number of meetings and in the silly number of competing championships and events which have damaged the sport over the last few years. A period of consolidation may mean fewer, but better, events with full grids of true enthusiasts in future.. Which I would think of as a good thing. But I will enjoy the next couple of months while it lasts. Brands will be fantastic if everyone entered makes it out on the track.